Thursday, January 31, 2008

Live and learn

I have recently learned two very important things:
1) If your base chain is 4 ch per stitch, but your stitch consists of 5 trc, your piece will slowly circle back on itself. DUH. I think I knew this would happen, but was worried about the base being too loose...um, what? No Allison, it's just math. So...I need to learn math for design projects. And I think it's just a matter of trial and error. So I lost a whole night of work because I didn't think it through, but I have learned to be more deliberate with the numbers, and that is a very valuable lesson.
2) I should trust my instincts with patterns. I was very skeptical of this pattern, because it's just a big long tube with armholes basically, and the top of the tube is supposed to be a "cowl"...I knew this sounded weird, but the picture didn't look too bad and it looked like a quick project. Well, it wasn't a quick project, first of all, and this is what happened:

That is not a cowl. That is...the top of a big tube. Blah. Made me grumpy, as I am illustrating in this photo. I should have known better.

Anyway, now I am turning that yarn that I am actually kinda in love with into some pretty. That is, if I can learn how to count...

No comments: