Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Yay finished object! Yay design! Yay Project Spectrum!

Well the Unending Sweater of Death (as I affectionately think of it) is finally done, and I gave it to its recipient last week. She was very, very pleased which makes me happy, and then she said that her friends would love it too and I "should be expecting a lot of orders". Gulp. I finally got around to telling her that I don't want to do sweaters any more, since I would like to spend more time focusing on creating my own designs and such and sweaters are just so labor-intensive. She was really understanding and said she felt privileged that she now has a handmade sweater from me. (One of these days I'm going to actually post photos of these things...)

This weekend wasn't really productive on the crocheting end, moved apartments and that takes up um all of your time and energy. But Sunday night I sat down and started working on a wrap design I've had in mind for a while, just chaining away with no real concept...and last night I started all over again. I actually took time to swatch, which I've never really done before, and it took me a couple of hours to come up with something I was moderately pleased with. It felt good though, it felt like productive work. And then this morning I made a different swatch...I think I'm actually going to be making two different designs based on one stitch concept, one in a solid color to show off the stitch, one in variegated in a simpler stitch. I'm excited now. I feel good about this project. Will take me a little while but I feel good.

This wrap is going to be called "Fireside" and I envisioned it in colors of red and colors of the forest. And what do you know, this morning I stumbled onto Project Spectrum (have I mentioned how much I love Ravelry? holy cow), which is a "create-along" for anyone to make anything around a color theme picked for each three-month period. This year's theme is Elements, and this season's element is...Fire! Yes! What a coincidence! Now I am even more inspired, and feel like maybe I will start thinking about working some more designs in this theme. I'm so pumped. Woo!

1 comment:

Lolly said...

I am very happy that you found the Project Spectrum group! it will be fun to see your projects for the elements!